"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Fri Feb 25 18:16:36 UTC 2000

Dear Peter and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "petegray" <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 11:22 AM

>>> Bird's summary of Pokorny's roots, ....2050 core roots.
>>> Of these exactly 775 have neither e nor e: anywhere.

>> 38%.  Is that including a(:) and o(:)?

> I simply got the computer to check - so it includes absolutely everything
> listed in Bird without e or e:.

>> Benveniste treats roots with CeRC / CRC ablaut as CeRC roots.

> Then it is no wonder that so few (comparatively) roots appear with CRC -
> whether the R is /i/ or /u/ or anything else.

> Is it possible that the apparent imbalance in numbers of CeC roots and
> CiC/CuC is a chimaeara - merely the result of the way we record the root
> in question?

<PR>
This is, of course, the crux of the matter. Though there are some nominals
with no full-grade roots in evidence, I do not believe there are any verbal
roots of the form CRC.

This suggests to me, at least, that, unless we want to posit two different
root-forms: one for nominals and another for verbals (which, I consider
rather unlikely), that the aberrant nominals are zero-grade forms of verbal
roots which have been lost, or possibly expressive formations, or even
borrowings.

<PG>
> And further, since CeC includes CeR, a comparison would not be about -e-
> and -i-/-u- at all, but about the number of roots without  a third consonant
> compared with the number of roots with third consonant, with medial R, but
> without full grade.    Is anything meaningful being compared there?   It
> does not seem to be a comparison of like with like.

<PR>
Not sure I understand all the implications of this paragraph but I think I
agree.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)