Horses

Vartan Matiossian varny at cvtci.com.ar
Fri Feb 25 23:57:55 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 5:11 AM

>> X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>> Did something change while I wasn't looking?   I thought <e:s>> was ass.

> -- my reference lists it as "Arm: es, 'horse'.  I don't have an Armenian
> dictionary on hand -- does anyone?

I'm a native speaker of Armenian, and I know Modern Arm. e:s with the
meaning of "ass". For a more accurate view, I went to check Ajarian's
Etymological Dictionary (the standard work  for Armenian), and I found no
single mention of "e:s" as "horse" in ancient Armenian. So, it's "ass" and
not horse.

Regards,
Vartan Matiossian