Horses

Vartan Matiossian varny at cvtci.com.ar
Sat Feb 26 00:04:08 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Holm <Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 5:04 AM

>> Armenian also has a word for horse, 'es', that's derived from *ekwos;

> .. that is not generally accepted.

As I explained in a previous posting, 'es' doesn't mean 'horse', but "ass".
On the other hand, what's the meaning of "not generally accepted"? Ajarian
gave the etymology of "es" < I.E. ek'wos (see "Etymological Dictionary of
the Armenian Language", in Armenian, vol. II, Yerevan, 1973, reprint from
the 1926-1935 edition), which has been commonly recognized as the standard
etymology and it hasn't been challenged since then. In his "Le vocabulaire
indoeuropeen" (Paris, 1984, just to mention a recent work in an European
language), X. Delamarre gives that same etymology.

I'm curious to hear about alternative etymologies, of course.

Regards,
Vartan Matiossian