PU *nimi / PIE *HneH3men- (was: Re: IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics)

Adam Hyllested adahyl at cphling.dk
Sat Feb 26 16:48:47 UTC 2000

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Ante Aikio wrote:

> But if you reconstruct *H3 phonetically as *[Yw], this should give PU *x
> (which was phonetically most probably *[Y]).

The reconstruction of *H3 as Yw is Indo-European, not Indo-Uralic. I
suggest:

PIU *(n)newme- or *(n)neYme-

Pre-PIE (with analogical -men) *H1neH3men > PIE *H1noH3mn

PU-Yuk *niwme > PU *nime > Finnish nimi

> But you can't reconstruct PU *-ä for this item: the reconstruction must be
> *nimi (= traditional *nime).

Why are you reconstructing an *-i for traditional *-e ? From what I know,
*-e > Finnish -i, whereas Finnish -e < *-eC.

Adam Hyllested