Dating the final IE unity

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Tue Feb 29 01:20:07 UTC 2000

At 10:23 PM 2/23/00 -0500, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:
>>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:
>-- Kind of like Anglo-Saxon (1000 AD) and Early Modern English (1500 AD),
>actually.  Massive freight of Romance loan-words, drastic grammatical
>simplification, and -- right around 1500 -- an equally drastic set of
>sound-shifts.

This is better than my example.

It is especially interesting that many of the borrowed Romance words are in
the area of government and religious ritual, given what happened in Hittite.

>The sum total of extant Thracian consists of a small series of short
>inscriptions in Greek script, which are difficult to translate because of
>problems in word division.  (This is characteristic of _short_ inscriptions.)

Even in longer inscriptions word division can be an issue, just not quite
so critical.  Our convention of spaces between words makes quite a difference.

> There are some glosses found in Hesychius and Photius which give us about 30
>certain Thracian terms.  The rest of our information comes from personal and
>place-names.

>In sum, we have less than a hundred Thracian words -- most of them names.
>Those we do have, are transparently IE, and present no particular difficulty:
> -para, 'settlement', -bria, 'town', for instance.

Not to mention the river names, which are equally transparent.
May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com