R and r

Tue Feb 29 02:39:46 UTC 2000

	In (some varieties of) Brazilian Portuguese and (among some
speakers of) Caribbean Spanish you see (non-initial) <r> as tap /r/ and
initial <r> and <rr> as a uvular trill
	For me the question is what is exeactly meant by "vibrant". I'm not
a linguist and I interpreted it as meaning "trill"
	Arabic may qualify in that ghayn is similar to a uvular trill, and
it also has <r> that I've heard as both trilled and tapped by speakers of
different dialects
	An Armenian housemate in college told me that they have "uvular r"
and "trilled r" yet his /r/ sounded a lot like American /r/, even though he
was from Lebanon

[ moderator snip ]

>[Ed Selleslagh]

>(Brazilian) Portuguese? What do the native speakers say?

>Maybe also Classical Greek (rho / rho with spiritus asper or daseíon)?

>Ed.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women