Assumptions in Computing phylogenies

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Tue Feb 29 09:25:00 UTC 2000

SF>Actually, properly done, cladistic analysis *determines* which
SF>characters are innovations and which are retentions.

.. In my humble understanding it is vice versa.
The biologist or linguist decides which features are retentions vs.
innovations, and the cladistic algorithm computes the 'optimal' tree. See
my parallel mail for a textbook on the topic.
But perhaps it is a misunderstanding.

SF>Unfortunately the most powerful method, outgroup comparison is not
SF>available in linguistics at this time depth
.. correct.

Regards
Hans J. Holm
D-30629 Hannover, (no mails >16kB please).