Northwest IE attributes

Wed Jan 12 04:39:28 UTC 2000

Why the exception kravih?
Is it because of the vowel or a combination of /r/ and non-palatal vowel?

Is pekus exceptional because of the velar vowel?

Is Balto-Slavic Satem necessarily linked to Indo-Iranian Satem?

Sometimes, it almost looks as if IE has recessive genes, e.g. Romance
Satem, the various p/q dichotomies, /r/ in various dialects of English,
etc. ;>

[ Moderator's note:
  The following material is quoted from a message by JoatSimeon at aol.com, with
  additional material by the moderator.
  --rma ]

>>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>>Satem is still a very good way to separate I-Ir from the western group.  (I
>>believe the current stance is that satem may have been adopted by
>>Balto-Slavic.)

>-- The Baltic and Slavic languages have undergone satemization; there's no
>'may' about it.

[ moderator snip ]

>But both Slavic and Baltic (especially Baltic) also show some exceptions;
>eg., PIE *peku, 'cattle', becomes Lithuanian 'pekus', not 'pesus'.

>[ Moderator's note:
>  Even Indo-Iranian shows some exceptions:  Cf. Skt. _kravih._ "raw meat",
>  Latin _cruor_ "gore, blood".
>  --rma ]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634