Renfrew and IE Overlords

Vidhyanath Rao rao.3 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:31:17 UTC 2000

"Stanley Friesen" <sarima at friesen.net> wrote:
> In particular the evidence from Egypt prior to 1100 BC shows
> clearly that the chariot was a mobile combat platform, actively used in
> shock warfare.

What is ``shock'' warfare?

2nd millennium BCE chariots, as far as we know, were extremely light.
Given the size of horses in use then (ponies by modern standards) and
the requirement of quick acceleration, they could not have been
otherwise. It would not possible to use them except as mobile archery
platforms or personal transport (more like a motor cycle than a pick-up
truck).

Much latter, Assyrians and Persians used much heavier vehicles to drive
through opposing ranks. But, firstly, they had knives affixed to their
axle, and any effect they had came from this. Secondly, they did not
turn very fast. This kind of ``chariot'' would not be any improvement
over the straddle cars and such in use in ANE by 2300 BCE.