T-shirt/was Wheel

Thu Jan 20 03:48:38 UTC 2000

	In Spanish there are probably at least a dozen words for T-shirt
	The most common ones I've run into are:
	camiseta < camisa "shirt" + -eta feminine derivative (and usually)
diminuitive suffix for (mainly) objects derived from or resembling some
other object --this is the most common word that I've run into
	playera < playa "beach" + -era feminine occupational suffix
(English -er)
	In Cuba I heard "pulover" < English pullover
	I've seen "camisa de T" but only on packages of T-shirts made by US
companies
	I've only heard "T-shirt" /ticher/ used by US Hispanics and other
Hispanics in the US

[snip]

><<...there are recent loan words [in Japanese] (e.g. tiishatsu "T-shirt")...>>

>I would love to compare T-shirt as it has been "accepted" into languages that
>are nearer or farther from English and see if the pattern did not approximate
>the kind of changes 'wheel" underwent.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634