PIE words for sexual organs

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Jan 20 08:13:34 UTC 2000

Dear Rick and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Mc Callister" <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 4:58 AM

[RC wrote:]
> Is this ultimately based on an expressive/onomatopeic form similar
> to the English expressive pu, pew, Spanish expressive puchi, uuf, puaf,
> Italian expressive puzzi, etc.?
> Are these expressive forms pretty universal?

 [PR wrote previously]
>> *pu:to-s, I think it is relatively certain that its
>> basal meaning is 'source or site of strong fragrance' (as attested by
>> *pu:ti-, 'rot'), a concept broad enough to include both cunnus and podex

[PR]
The slope dividing lexical root from expressive is a slippery one, I admit.

But, perhaps, one test that might be applied to differentiate them is
whether the morpheme is question is capable of compounding.

'Whew!' is a expression of relief. But we do not --- except humorously ---
say *whewness for 'relief'.

Therefore, provisionally, we may probably account 'whew' to expressives.

*pew(H)-, on the other hand, shows derived forms in many languages: e.g.
Egyptian [bw] and [bwt], 'detest, abominate'.

Here, I think we may probably accept *pew(eH)- as a lexical root.

However, an additional factor may be that lexical roots which have a form
that may be interpreted expressively tend to be retained over long periods
of time.

This particular root is very well represented in languages around the world.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)