SV: Indo-Hittite

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Sat Jan 22 15:00:33 UTC 2000

Larry Trask [SMTP:larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk] skrev 20. januar 2000 12:22:

>> PS - Someone - I forget who - also wanted to know how the UPenn tree
>> analysis
>> could claim to "confirm the Indo-Hittite hypothesize"  when the actual
>> language used was Luwian.

> But this is precisely the issue addressed by the UPenn work.  What Ringe's
> group was trying to do was to find a principled basis for drawing up just
> such
> a branching tree structure.  And one of their results is that PIE did indeed
> undergo an original binary split into Proto-Anatolian and Proto-the-rest-of-
> IE.

> Of course, you don't have to buy their methods or their conclusions, but it
> is
> clear that the results they report confirm Sturtevant's hypothesis.

Sturtevant's hypothesis found support in the following work:

A. L. Kroeber and C.D. Chrétien (1939). "The statistical technique and
Hittite". Language, Journal of the Language Association of America. LXXIII(4):
309-314.

I would be curious to know if Ringe's group used Kroeber's and Chrétien's
article, or arrived at their conclusions through methods that were entirely
independent of Kroeber .

Best regards,
Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse