Northwest IE attributes

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Sun Jan 23 05:54:49 UTC 2000

At 02:23 AM 12/18/99 -0500, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

>Eg., Both Baltic and Slavic and Indo-Iranian undergo satemization, and both
>groups also show the 'ruki rule' (modifications in *-s- after r, u, k or i.

I am not yet convinced this is not a sprachbund (areal) effect, and thus
late.  If Balto-Slavic shares other, less famous, isoglosses with
Indo-Iranian, I might reconsider this

>In other words, there was still a dialect continuum across the whole
>Indo-European field at this time.

However, this is quite possible also.  For instance, there is currently
*still* a dialect continuum across the entire West Romance area, some 1500
years after the split up of Latin.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com