IE "Urheimat" and evidence from Uralic linguistics

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 10:22:42 UTC 2000

In a message dated 1/21/00 7:38:23 AM, anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fiwrote:
 <<proto-U *pel(x)i- 'fear' < proto-IE *pelH- 'grau, fahl; schreckig'
  p-U *toxi- 'bring, give, sell' < p-IE *doH- 'give'
  p-U *koki- 'see, find' < p-IE *Hokw- 'see'
  p-U *kulki- 'move, flow, walk' < p-IE *kwelH- 'drehen, sich drehen usw.'
  p-U *mos´ki- 'wash' < p-IE *mozg(-eye)- 'untertauchen'
  p-U *s´alkaw- 'pole, rod' < p-IE *g´halgho- id.
  p-U *weti- 'water' < p-IE *wed- id.

The criteria by which the loans must be judged proto-Uralic are the
following:

1) The phonological shape of their cognates in present-day U languages
does not warrant one to assume that they were loaned separately into (and
between) already differentiated U languages / dialects. The distribution
suggests the same: all the etymologies above have cognates in at least one
U language in the Baltic Sea area and one in Siberia.

2) the proto-U form requires a specifically proto-IE loan original. Many
even show proto-U *k or *x as a substituent of an IE laryngal.>>

Betraying my ignorance, I must once again ask why this exchange must have
happened with PIE and not with an early daughter.

I MUST also find out someday why Uralic would need to borrow words for water,
move, bring and wash from IE.

anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fiwrote:

<<It seems that the only logical option is to place proto-IE in Eastern Europe
north of the Black Sea. This area is just about south from area where
current research usually places the center of the Uralic expansion.>>

PIE originates just south of where Uralic originates?  So that Uralic did not
expand south because PIE speakers were already there?  Or did somebody move
in?  Or is the assertion that they were all once one language and perhaps
this wasn't borrowing at all.

<<As a result, theories such as Renfrew's Anatolian "Urheimat"
must obviously be discarded...>>

I'd wait until you have a chance to review the alternative explanation.  Just
to get both sides and seem a little unbiased.

Regards,
Steve Long