Making IE materials available [was Re: IE etymological dictionary]

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Tue Jan 25 00:00:42 UTC 2000

Sean Crist wrote:

>It's for this reason that I'm interested in taking old IE-related materials
>whose copyright has expired and placing them online for free, with the intent
>that volunteer effort can work to bring the materials up to date.  If
>volunteer effort can produce a first-rate and entirely free operating system,
>I'm sure it can produce a set of quality online IE-related materials; we
>simply need to do it.

A couple of years ago I floated past Eric Hamp and Brian Joseph the idea of
putting Schleicher, Osthoff & Brugmann, Brugmann & Delbrueck, usw., on CDROM in
searchable PDF format, to make these materials available to the Indo-European
student linguist.  Both were of the opinion that this might qualify for grant
money from the (U.S.) National Endowment for the Humanities or similar agency.

Such a project could provide the kernel around which a more general effort
could grow.

Anyone else interested?

								Rich Alderson