Indo-Hittite

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Mon Jan 24 06:51:00 UTC 2000

LT>In fact, precisely this odd last view is the one commonly presented in
LT>those IE family trees that we see everywhere.  But not many linguists
LT>are happy with such a massive sudden-disintegration scenario.

.. In the forthcoming 'Journal of quantitative linguistics' I will present
a much more differentiated model of the disintegration of IE.
And Hittite is not the first, but the last language to depart - from
Tokharian. The first to split were Germanic and Greek, as already stated
by Prof D.G. Kendall in Ross JRSS.B12/1950:49.

It must be noticed that the starting point or so called 'root' in the
Ringe/Warnow tree is /not/ calculated, but inserted by Ringe as outcome of
traditional, mainstream views perhaps too much preoccupied by the only
early documentation of Hittite. And the 3 print-documents on this model
are incomplete to a degree not enabling us to verify it.

  Hans J Holm
  - - et monere et moneri - -