"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Thu Jan 27 23:38:55 UTC 2000

"Patrick C. Ryan" <proto-language at email.msn.com> wrote:

>[MC]

>> It is clear that a system with both palatalization and
>> labialization, as I advocate for (Pre-)PIE, is not stable.

>[PR]
>What makes that so "clear"?

There aren't (to my knowledge) many languages around which
maintain a full set of labialized and palatalized and plain
consonants (I forgot to mention the plains).  Ubykh?
Centum/satem reflect two ways of simplifying this situation
(merger of plain-palatalized or labialized-plain).  Slavic did
not create a separate labialized series, Old Irish lost the
u-coloured consonants.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl