Horses in War

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 11:47:24 UTC 2000

  X99Lynx at aol.com wrote:-

> ... At the same time,...the Assyrians molded their cavalry into a strong
> combat arm,... essentially making the chariot obsolete. Cavalry is inherently
> better than chariots since it is more mobile.

Likely the war chariot gradually went out as horses were gradually bred to be
bigger. I am reminded here of a children's book about ponies that I read:-

> ... [the pony is descended from] the wild pony ... Those who were careless
> enough to let their children get bigger until they became what are now
> known as horses got what they deserved, namely a lot of hard work. ...

Whereabouts in the modern scale of horse sizes and types (pony, hack, charger,
etc) do wild horse skeletons come which died before the wild stock could have
been mixed genetically with escaped domestic horses?