NW vs E Germanic

Thu Jan 27 06:09:11 UTC 2000

	I read somewhere, I believe in a post on this list, that Ingwaeonic
speakers once occupied mainland Denmark and either migrated SW along the
North Sea coast or were pushed out of the area by North Germanic speakers.
	I also seem to remember seeing somewhere that the area even
included present S. Sweden --although I wonder if that could be based on an
identification of the Jutes with the Geats from Beowulf and presuming them
to have been Ingwaeonic speakers.
	In general, I've seen a great deal of contradictory opinions in
non-linguistic works on the Jutes relating them to Geats, Goths and even
claiming they never even existed as a group.
	Is it a case of them being not much more than a historical name?

[snip]

>Oh, if you mean Ingwaeonic, that IS a fact you have to accept, note
>(1) the unit plural (old 3pl used of 1pl and 2pl also); (2) loss of nasal
>before voiceless spirants (Eng. mouth, goose). At least these are shared
>by Old Saxon, Old English and Frisian to the exclusion of OHG. You could
>perhaps add monophthongization of *ai (OS e:, OE a:, OFr. both) if this is
>not too trivial. My expression of amazement was prompted by the word
>"Jutish" which I take to denote a Danish dialect group; but if the old
>Jutes went to England they may well have been (or become) Ingwaeones.

>Jens

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women