the Wheel and Dating PIE

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 04:37:14 UTC 2000

In a message dated 1/27/00 10:56:07 PM, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

<<-- we're talking about the WORD.  If the word was borrowed or invented
_before_ PIE split up, it would develop according to the usual sound laws for
each of the daughter languages.  If introduced afterwards, it would not.
What is difficult about this?>>

What is difficult is that you continue to avoid my question.
I'll ask it again:
How do you know that the SPECIFIC sound changes in the wheel word happened at
the time of dispersal?  How do you know that those changes didn't happen some
time well after dispersal?  And how do you know the wheel was not introduced
in the intervening period?

So far I've gotten no answer from you that justifies saying that the wheel
word HAD to be introduced before dispersal.

Here's someone elsewith more credibility than I have saying it :
"It depends on whether there *had* been any relevant sound changes in the
intervening period, and in general we can only establish *relative* dates for
sound changes, if we're lucky (many times not even that)."

Here's the chronology.  PIE disperses.  The sound changes you see in the
wheel word have not occurred yet.  The wheel word is introduced to most of
the daughters.  Then afterwards the sound changes occur.

I'm not saying this is right.  But you haven't yet given me a reason why it
is wrong.

Regards,
Steve Long