early IE dialect areas diagram

Fri Jan 28 05:59:19 UTC 2000

	I've read that Italic was in contact with Germanic before Celtic was
	My impression was that Italic would have been somewhere around the
upper Danube, i.e. present Bavaria, Bohemia, Austria and/or Switzerland
before moving into Italy
	I don't know what the exact time frame was, ¿2000-1500 BC?
	or whether Celtic would have been east or west of Latin at the time
or which languages it was in contact with --although I have seen in passing
some references to "Illyrian" influences in Ibero-Romance [in either Lapesa
or Bolaños] but I don't know if this is just a wild guess or what
	Given that it seems that Celtic would have moved into former
Italic-speaking territory, this conceivably may have resulted in Italic
influence on Celtic. Any arguments one way or another?
	There's also the question of Lusitanian. Is it Celtic? Is it
Italic? Does it form a W. IE branch along with Celtic and Italic [and
possibly Venetic]?

[snip]

>If anyone can suggest the scenario for the positions of Celtic
>and Italic especially at the very ealiest stages, and whether
>their neighbors changed very much during the expansion of IE
>dialects westwards, I would be grateful for any help with thinking.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women