Horses

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 19:05:35 UTC 2000

In a message dated 1/29/00 12:56:50 PM, alex at AN3039.spb.edu wrote:

<<Thus the Sumerogramme (used instead of *Hek^wos-word [?]) means
    something like 'Gebierge Esel, mountain ass'
    and some (e.g. Vyach.Vsel.Ivanov) thought that this meaning
    could be chronologically prior to the meaning 'horse'

    Though i must say i personally do not believe in this...>>

My understanding is that later in cuneiform the same basic character would be
the symbol for horse.  Am I correct?  This was actually pointed out by Childe
(1954).

Regards,
Steve Long