German ge- ptcpl cognates?

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat Jan 29 07:05:47 UTC 2000

Dear Sean and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Crist" <kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 5:51 AM

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 ECOLING at aol.com wrote:

>> I was just recently contemplating the augment *e- which precedes
>> certain completed-action verbs in Indic and in Greek, and which, I
>> gather from one correspondent, is usually taken as an inheritance from
>> some common stage, one of several manifestations of a close
>> Greek-Vedic relationship.

>> If one takes that point of view, then it implies a Greek-Indic common
>> innovation compared with PIE. Is that branch on a tree supportable?
>> (differs from UPenn, right?)

>> If not, then must one take it as an inheritance from PIE, lost elsewhere?

<large snip>

In my opinion, there is an interesting possibility that *(H)e- is cognate
with a verbal prefix j-, used in the formation of hieroglyphic Old and Late
Egyptian verbal forms.

Based on all usages, the best definition of the function of the suspected
Nostratic predecessor of both, *?e-, is, in my opinion, not so much
completed action but simply alteriority, i.e. a time-setting different from
that of the non-prefixed main verb in the discourse. Thus, if the setting is
present, *?e- could indicate a past or future setting.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)