Frisian

Steve Gustafson stevegus at aye.net
Sat Jan 29 03:33:23 UTC 2000

Max Dashu writes:

> Nevertheless, I'm going to ask you if you know anything about the
> distribution of Frisian in medieval times. I've read that it extended over
> more of the Netherlands than currently, and also towards Denmark.

According to the map in Robinson (Old English and its Closest Relatives),
Frisian was once spoken along almost the entire coast, from Bruges in the
southwest to just over the current Danish border in the northeast,
apparently with a gap at the mouth of the Elbe.  Robinson also cites
Tacitus, who reports Frisii between the Rhine and the Ems.

--

Sella fictili sedeo
Versiculos dum facio.