Frisian

tj at nysol.se tj at nysol.se
Sat Jan 29 12:03:49 UTC 2000

> Nevertheless, I'm going to ask you if you know anything about the
> distribution of Frisian in medieval times. I've read that it extended over
> more of the Netherlands than currently, and also towards Denmark.

> Max Dashu

I knowa bit of the frisian history. It seems like they lived in the area of
present day Netherlands, the present day German North-sea coast when the Romans
fought with them and conquered them some years before Christ. That is one of
the reasons why they did not expand beyond this area, because they where a part
of the Roman empire (lat: Frisii later Frisones). As far as I know they
expanded a bit (up to present day Slesvig) after the Roman empire collapsed but
not much.

They where a country of great traders so their influence on the Danes and the
Germans must have been big.

/Torbjvrn Jerlerup
Stockholm