SV: Indo-Hittite

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Sat Jan 29 05:57:37 UTC 2000

At 10:22 AM 1/24/00 -0500, Sean Crist wrote:
>This isn't correct; in every version of the work I've seen, the team used
>Hittite to represent Anatolian.  It wouldn't matter, anyway; despite the
>terminology, the Indo-Hittite hypothesis holds that the earliest branching
>in IE was between _Anatolian_ and what became the other IE languages.

Actually, I would find the result more convincing if they *had* used
Luwian!  (Or, even better, both Luwian and Hittite).

So far the "cladistic linguistics" I have seen has fallen far short of what
biologists do - many of the solutions to statistical issues that biologists
have come up with are not applied.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com