Announcement of new resources for analysing Basque

Jon Patrick jonpat at staff.cs.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jun 26 07:39:59 UTC 2000

[ removed private note to moderator ]

The Working Group for the Data Mining of Natural Language at Sydney University
has prepared a set of 7 lexica  of Basque for the use of historical linguists
only. Given the amount of discussion there has been on the list over the last
year on the relationship of Basque to IE and the paucity of materials directly
available to the participating scholars we have prepared a set of resources
for your use. The lexica are taken from the following dictionaries:

Aulestia (49,600 headwords)
Sarasola (30,688 headwords)
Kintana (43,553 headwords)
Morris(23,373 headwords)
Azkue (39,664 headwords) -  3 lexica

There are 3 lexica from the Azkue dictionary. The first is the full set of
head words in the dictionary (39,664 headwords). The second is the list of
monomorphemic words designated by Azkue in their original orthography. The
third is the same set of monmorphemic words converted into a Batua orthography.

Access to the data is by password. If you are an historical linguist with an
interest in this data set then write to me I will allocate you an account and
a password.

cheers
Jon

Prof. Jon Patrick			BH +61-2-9351 3524
Sybase Chair of Information Systems	FX +61-2-9351 3838
Basser Dept. of Computer Science
University of Sydney
Sydney, 2006
NSW