Dating the final IE unity

Stefan Georg Georg at home.ivm.de
Wed Mar 1 09:18:56 UTC 2000

>>>The I-H hypothesis I believe has Hittite < PIE.

>>Not at all.  In fact the very *form* of the word implies exclusion of
>>Anatolian from IE proper

>I'm puzzled by why the IE languages have come to be referred to as
>"Anatolian." What then do they call non-IE tongues like Hurrian?

Non-IE languages of Ancient Anatolia. We call Indic Indic, to the
disadvantage of Dravidian, and we call Baltic Baltic to the disadvantage of
Estonian.  There is no such thing as an ideal terminology. Sometimes we
have to use one name for two languages (Bulgarian, Chwarezmian, Udi aso.)

> (Or are
>non-IE languages other than Hurrian known in Anatolia?)

Hattic, Urartaean, Assyrian (Turkish ;-)

Dr. Stefan Georg
Heerstraße 7
D-53111 Bonn
FRG