the Wheel and Dating PIE or NW-IE

Carol F. Justus cjustus at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 1 15:12:45 UTC 2000

Is there some compelling reason for rejecting Edgar Polome's (JIES 22
[1994] 289-305] with references) linguistic arguments (based on earlier
studies as well) for an initial closer link between Germanic and Baltic,
but Slavic and Iranian, then a movement of Slavic closer to Baltic with
Germanic moving closer to Italic, then when Italic tribes moved south into
Italy, closer contact between Celtic and Germanic? This would not imply an
original unity but successive post-PIE areal contacts at different stages
of cultural development.

Carol Justus