"centum"/"satem" "exceptions" [was Re: Northwest IE attributes]

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 1 20:07:16 UTC 2000

Stanley Friesen <sarima at friesen.net> wrote:

>At 05:44 PM 2/25/00 +0000, Patrick C. Ryan wrote:

>>But, let us approach this from another avenue.

>>1) What I believe we find in the earliest IE is one vowel, /*e/, which has a
>>conditioned variant , /*o/.

>Many have tried to make this so.  But all attempts I have seen come up
>short.  At the level of the final unity, there are many minimal pairs that
>differ in /*e/ vs. /*o/.  It is simply not possible for them to have been
>conditioned variants anymore well prior to the breakup.

>It is possible that some pre-PIE language had such conditioned variation,
>but any such conditioning factor had disappeared by the time we reach the
>reconstructible time layers.  [One viable possibility is an old accent
>system as the conditioning factor, with conditioning destroyed by a shift
>in the accent pattern to the one reconstructed for PIE].

The accent pattern had certainly something to do with zero grade
vs. normal grade, no doubt about that.  The influence of accent
on e-grade vs. o-grade is less transparent [quite apart from the
fact that it makes little sense phonetically].  There are of
course obvious cases like the pattern [stressed] -e'(:)R vs.
[unstressed] -o(:)R in the resonant stems.

The e/o alternation in the thematic vowel is, one had to agree
with Jens Rasmussen, caused by the quality of the following
consonants (*e before voiceless/silence, *o before voiced).

The solution, I think, is to derive qualitative *e/*o-Ablaut from
an earlier quantitative **a/**a:-Ablaut, with developments /a/ >
/&/ > /e/ and /a:/ > /A:/ > /o(:)/.  Lengthening caused by
ensuing voiced/lenis consonants is well-known (e.g. English).
The transition from quantitative to qualitative distinction in
vowels is also commonplace, in the case of /a/ with languages
generally equally divided between long-backers (a: > o:) and
short-backers (a > o).  Pre-PIE was a long-backer.  I don't have
a good explanation for the poim'e:n ~ d'aimo:n phenomenon
(stressed vowels resisted lengthening by following resonant?).
Not all cases of e/o alternation seem to be due to secondary
lengthening of **a, there were probably primary **a:'s as well.
The backed *o: resulting from **a: generally lost its length
(i.e. at a time when length was no longer phonemic), so it must
predate "lengthened grade" and the laryngeal lengthenings.
Brugmann's Law shows that the length was still allophonic in PII.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl