Celtic word for horse

Brian M. Scott BMScott at stratos.net
Sun Mar 5 02:06:54 UTC 2000

X99Lynx at aol.com wrote:

> Also I note that Buck has somehow failed to include in his book a rather
> important OIr word for 'deer' - <ach>  (Gaelic - <each>).  Perhaps more on
> that later.

Can you give a reference to this word?  There is no entry
for <ach> 'deer' in the Dict. of the Irish Lang. Based
Mainly on Old and Middle Irish Materials; there *is* <ech>
'a horse, a steed', giving NIr <each> 'a horse, a steed'
and Sc. Gael. <each> 'a horse, a brute'.  OIr <ech> can
of course be found in Buck's 3.41 (generic term for a horse).

Brian M. Scott