Italic close to Slavic?

James Bilbro jimbilbro at email.msn.com
Sun Mar 5 04:12:15 UTC 2000

Since I haven't checked my email in some time, this response may be a bit
belated, as I still have 376(!) messages from this list yet to check.  (This
is too much!)

In any case, what you may be remembering is that Celtic, Anatolian, and
Tocharian all share all share a passive formation in /r/, as does Italic
(and Phrygian?).  All four are also "centum"-languages.  The r-passive seems
to be a shared retention of a fairly archaic formant.  Of course, this
should not be interpreted to indicate any closer relationship between these
languages in the PIE-period, beyond the fact that they were all
centum-dialects.

Sincerely,
Jim Bilbro