*-iH_2 [was Re: Domesticating the Horse]

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Tue Mar 7 18:55:37 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Pat Ryan (proto-language at email.msn.com) responded to my
statement of the preceding day:

>> The Greek outcome is especially interesting, since this is one of the few
>> places where the laryngeals do not undergo fully parallel developments: We
>> find *i1 > _i:_, *i2 > _ia_, and *i3 > _iO:_.

>> This last fact, of course, answers the question of reconstructing
>> ?*ul{k^w}i1 or ?*ul{k^w}i3:  Were the suffix not *-i2, we would have a
>> different outcome in Greek.

> But *u.lkwi2 has no outcome in Greek, does it?

Disingenuous.  The *suffix* in question has a number of occurrences, all with
a short alpha.

Note that there are occurrences of long alpha following iota, which are *not*
reflexes of this suffix, and which therefore show that something else is going
on here.

> And the Greek outcomes look like:

> -iH1 -> ie: -> i:; -H2 -> ia: -> ia; -iH3  -> -io:

I'm afraid not.  There is no evidence for either of your intermediate stages
with regard to H_1 or H_2.

								Rich Alderson