Latin word formation

Stefan Georg Georg at home.ivm.de
Tue Mar 7 21:42:49 UTC 2000

Latin /de:bilis/ is mostly etymologized today as consisting of a privative
prefix /de:-/ (which also exists in Celtic), the root /be/ol-/ "power,
strength", as seen in skt. /bali/, and Slavic /bolIjI/ + a denominal suffix
-e/os.ö

Now, I cannot rid myself of the feeling that the word formation displayed
here looks rather odd. Is anyone aware of parallels, i.e. de:- + nominal
root + -e/os ?
Is this formation pretty normal in Latin (Italic, Celtic, IE ...), or am I
right in finding it a bit fishy ? What about halfway parallels (de:- +
n.r., or n.r. + -e/os) ?

Grateful for any input, pointing me to paragraph 1 of the beginner's
handbook included.

Dr. Stefan Georg
Heerstraße 7
D-53111 Bonn