Mutual intelligibility of Vedic and Greek [was Re: the Wheel and Dating PIE]

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Tue Mar 7 23:47:58 UTC 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Gabor Sandi (g_sandi at hotmail.com) wrote:

> I know that there are many structural similarities between Homer's Greek and
> Vedic Sanskrit, but even there I doubt that it is possible to read continuous
> text in one, if you only know the other.

While my Sanskrit professor thought (and taught) this way in his introductory
class, in my opinion one would have to be extremely well versed in the history
of both languages in order for this to work, so much so that the experiment is
not really possible:  By the time one had learned enough of the background to
do it, one would have learned enough of the target language to read it.

								Rich Alderson