the Wheel and Dating PIE

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 12 08:45:06 UTC 2000

>Mycenean Greek and Vedic
> >Sanskrit .
> -- I've been told that it's possible to puzzle out the general meaning;

Even that is an overstatement in my opinion.    A knowledge of Greek can
help at times when I am reading Sanskrit, but it could never replace
learning the language.   With a knowledge of historical linguistics, some
words and forms can be recognised, but not much more than that.   There is
Dravidian vocabulary even in Vedic, and non-PIE vocab in Greek.  Sanskrit of
course has 8 cases to Greek's 5, so any claim that you can read Sanskrit
with Greek is absurd.

I also repeat my earlier point.  It was claimed that since the two languages
were close, they had to be separated recently.   I find this illogical,
since they only appear close because of our knowledge of their linguistic
history.   The two languages as they actually appear are nowhere near as
close as has been suggested.

Peter