Bandkeramik and non-Anatolian PIE

Vartan Matiossian varny at cvtci.com.ar
Sat Mar 11 03:05:22 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 2:00 AM

> -- my own guess would be that Phrygian, Armenian and Hellenic were, in
> origin, part of the same dialect-cluster and simply share a lot of late
> isoglosses.  Thracian we simply don't know enough about to say.

Views on this subject are very contradictory, but the consensus reached
during the last years seems to point that there was a Greek-Armenian dialect
cluster (perhaps Indo-Iranian-Greek-Armenian), and that Phrygian had not
genetical relation with Armenian. A well-balanced study of this is V. Orel's
article ("The Position of Phrygian, Annual of Armenian Linguistics, vol. 14,
1993)

Regards,
Vartan Matiossian
Casilla de Correo 2, Suc. 53