Italic close to Slavic?

Robert Orr colkitto at sprint.ca
Sun Mar 12 14:49:04 UTC 2000

I would like to take the liberty to quote from my forthcoming book " Common
Slavic Nominal Morphology: A New Synthesis"

Certain authors (Milewski1932. "Rozwój fonetyczny wyglosu praslowianskiego".
Slavia 11: 250,255; Galabov 1973. "Urslavische Auslautprobleme". Wiener
Slavistisches Jahrbuch, 20: 11-17.) have reconstructed the
passive/deponent -r ending for Slavic

Chapter 4, fn. 10, p. 106 In this context it has not been remarked that the
reconstruction of *-r for verbs in Slavic would have interesting
implications for IE studies: so far only Celtic, Italic, Tocharian and
Anatolian have been attested with these forms, and they are quoted as a
classic case of an archaism retained by peripheral dialects (most recently,
Sihler 1995: 472-74).

Robert Orr

[ moderator snip ]