Edgar Polome and JIES

Carol F. Justus cjustus at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:27:04 UTC 2000

[ Moderator's note:
  The following note was received at the list address.  With Carol Justus'
  kind permission, I am forwarding it unedited.

  Our heartfelt sympathies go out to Prof. Polomé's family and friends.

								Rich Alderson ]

Dear Rich,

This is an excerpt from summary messages that some of us have been sending
each other for a while now:

Edgar Polomé passed away yesterday at 1 p.m. at the M. D. Anderson Cancer
Clinic in Houston.

He had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in his shoulder in
late January, which led to amputation of shoulder and arm on Feb. 8. He was
apparently on the mend, via physical therapy, and his and Sharon's spirits
were high, when a week or so ago pneumonia set in; a CT scan on Friday
showed that the cancer had spread massively throughout both lungs, and
clusters of cancer cells were now trapping the pneumonia inside. He had a
tracheotomy operation the same day, but never fully regained consciousness.

I don't know how much you want to make public on the IE List, but you
probably do want to let people know, particularly if anyone had sent
correspondence to Edgar in the last 5-6 months. Much lay unanswered as we
all thought for a long time that he would be soon be taking care of things
himself.

James Mallory will now begin taking over as editor of the Journal of IE
Studies, but it may be a bit of time before correspondence that was sent to
Edgar gets answered. Roger Pearson, the Publisher, does have mss. that
Edgar had approved, and they will come out in the next issue or two. The
last issue appeared while Edgar was in the hospital, hence its lack of
proper proofing.

Carol