About forcing a language on someone

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 10:28:18 UTC 2000

[ Moderator's note:
  This message, and the next on the same subject, will be the last of this
  discussion on the list.  Those who wish to discuss further the issues raised
  by Mr. Stirling should do so in private e-mail.
  --rma ]

>jrader at m-w.com writes:

>and I think that our very tolerant moderator ought to ask that it be dropped.

-- no problem.  Although when one thinks of it, the pre-neolithic situation
in Europe was probably much like that in Eastern North America when Europeans
arrived;  dozens of language families, hundreds of separate languages, many
covering quite small areas.

Now there are only Indo-European, Uralic and Basque; with Indo-European
overwhelmingly predominant.