Bears and why they mostly are called otherwise

Robert Whiting whiting at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Mar 14 05:49:12 UTC 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Dr. John E. McLaughlin wrote:

<snip>
> Since there is no evidence that "bay" was ever used as anything other than a
> part of the word for "bay horse" or, as horsemen say, "bay", (not
> "bay-colored horse", no one says that), it cannot be considered a color term
> at all, but only a specific marker for horse type.  Neither "bay" nor any
> other "horse color", like "pinto", "dun" and "paint", can be applied to any
> other creature or inanimate object.

You mean a pinto bean is really a horse? :)  Just joking, John, and I take
your point.  But I do think you have overstated it.  Horse colors do get
transferred (practically any term can be transferred), but usually with
the marker '-colored' attached (e.g., 'dun-colored', 'roan-colored').  The
problem is that 'pinto' and 'paint' are not colors but refer to patterns
of markings.  And a pinto bean and a pinto horse both have mottled colors.

Bob Whiting
whiting at cc.helsinki.if