Latin word formation

Stefan Georg georg at rullet.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Mar 14 09:05:09 UTC 2000

>de-bil-is

>How about   de:mens?

Doesn't really qualify, 'cause there's no -e/os suffix.

>Or deliciae = gutter?   < de: + liqu- + ia

Could qualify, but I'm not sure about the etymology. And, it's a verbal
root, s.b.

>You say debilis is de: + nominal root + suffix.   Could it be from a
>different route?   de: + verbal root  + deverbative ending?

Which verbal root then ?
Communis opinio seems to be that the root is *be/ol- "power" athl., skt.
bali-, slav. bolIjI (ru. bol'she).
Actually, I don't believe this, and I'm looking for an alternative, but
first of all I'm trying to ascertain that, in the traditional scenario, the
word formation is really so odd as it seems to me.

Thanks for the input.

St.

Dr. Stefan Georg
home: