pre-IE k > H

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Mar 15 17:32:05 UTC 2000

Dear Indo-Europeanists:

In Greenberg's new book, _Indo-European and Its Closest Relatives_, the
proposal is made on pp. 59-60 that pre=IE or early IE k became a
"laryngeal".

Greenberg cites Latin costa, 'rib', and Greek ostou^s, 'bone', among others,
as examples of "a number of roots which require proto-forms with k alongside
of H".

I was, of course, aware of *kost- and *ost(h)-, for which I would prefer
another explanation, but I am unaware of numerous examples suggesting this
relationship.

Anyone know of a few more?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com
(501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA
WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE: http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/
and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html
"Veit ek, at ek hekk, vindga meiði, nætr allar níu,
geiri undaðr . . . a þeim meiði er mangi veit
hvers hann af rótum renn." (Hávamal 138)