Bears and why they mostly are called otherwise

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 16:12:09 UTC 2000

Hereinafter ! 2 3 are the laryngeals. Greek w = digamma.

As regards possible euphemisms:-
  The PIE literal for "bear" is said to be {2rksos}; but I read that its
Hittite form {hartaggas} means "predator", i.e. yet another descriptor.
  In Ancient Greek I have come across:-
  wolf: PIE {wlqwos} > Greek {lukos}, not the expected **{wlapos} or similar;
distortion to associate with {luk-} = "light" (= illumination)?
  shark: {selakhos}, compare (selas} = "beam of light".
  lion: {lewo:n} : compare {loweo:} = "I wash".
  PIE {wlqwos} sounds suspiciously like someone imitating a wolf howling,
perhaps as a yet older euphemism?
  hare (not a dangerous animal but a subject of many superstitions): compare
words {has-} = "grey", and more recent replacement words in Irish etc.