Tonal and stress accents

Guillaume JACQUES xiang at free.fr
Thu Mar 16 10:15:57 UTC 2000

> I do not think it differed very much: As your mail continues, there is a
> high pitch on the stress in Modern Greek too, and the same goes for
> Italian. In PIE the two must have gone hand in hand, i.e. there was a
> "prominent" syllable in every word, its prominence consisting in high tone
> AND stress (greater muscular effort giving a louder sound volume).

I don't quite follow you here. A pitch accent can change into an intensity
accent.  This is what happened in greek and slavic, and I suppose in the other
less archaic languages that you cite from.  It isn't necessary to assume IE had
both accents. I think greek, vedic, baltic and slavic evidence indicates PIE
had a pitch accent.

Guillaume