pre-IE k > H

CONNOLLY at LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU CONNOLLY at LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU
Sat Mar 25 08:02:54 UTC 2000

[ Moderator's note:
  The following material is quoted from a message posted on 16 March 2000 by
  Eric Plourde (plourer at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA).  I apologize for not having
  added the citation to Carol Justus' response from which it is taken here.
  --rma ]

Carol Justus wrote:

>I wonder if it is not important to distinguish between a *k > h (such as
>happened in Germanic (e.g., cornu, 'horn') and *k- > largyngeal written in
>Hittite with a sound transcribed as 'h' with a diacritic under it?

Absolutely!  Moreover, it is essential to separate a regular phonetic change
(k- > h- in Hungarian and Germanic) from a sporadic change, such as the
proposed k- > H-.

Leo

Leo A. Connolly                         Foreign Languages & Literatures
connolly at memphis.edu                    University of Memphis