Typology and the phonetics of laryngeals

Herb Stahlke hstahlke at gw.bsu.edu
Sun Mar 26 04:29:58 UTC 2000

In the various IE handbooks, I've seen a number of phonetic solutions proposed
for the problem of what the laryngeals were phonetically, but all of them look
like typologically odd sets of sounds given standard reconstructions for PIE.

In the '70s and '80s, phonological typology was called on pretty heavily to
motivate the glottalic hypothesis for PIE.  I'm puzzled about the near absence
of application of typology to the question of what the phonetic values of the
laryngeals might have been.

Have I missed obvious sources?  Has there been discussion of the typology of
laryngeals?

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University