Dating the final IE unity, in particular the word for "horse"

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Tue Mar 28 01:36:19 UTC 2000

"proto-language" <proto-language at email.msn.com> wrote:

>I am reasonably sure (though, subject to correction) that a process of
>deriving *H(1)ek^uo-s from *H(3)o:k^u's is simply not possible.

>On the other hand, it, at least, appears possible that **H(1)o:k^u'-s
>*might* be derived from *H(1)ek^uo-s although the lengthened vowel is a
>problem.

If we assume an adjective stem *h1ek^u- ( ~ *h1o:k^u-),
*h1ek^u-o- certainly looks like a definite/substantivized
adjective ("the fast one"), derived with -o-.

>Secondly, it is generally more likely that an adjective ('fast') was derived
>from a noun ('horse') than the reverse --- particularly in view of the early
>relative paucity of adjectives, and the existence of terms like
>**k^(h)e:i-to- [my emendation]  (*ke:i-to-), 'fast'.

Notwithstanding the fact that six of the terms for "horse" listed
in C.D. Buck's dictionary (alogo, horse, hengst, arklys, z^irgas
and haya-) are adjectival or at least eptithetical in origin.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl