Urheimat in Lithuania? (was Re: the Wheel and Dating PIE or NW-IE)

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Mar 29 19:12:24 UTC 2000

Dear Rich and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard M. Alderson III" <alderson at netcom.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 4:11 AM

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Steve Long (X99Lynx at aol.com) wrote:

>> There is nothing in the data you are using to justify saying anything new
>> happened in that non-innovating residue.  Only certain innovations are
>> determinative at each node.  Other innovations don't count, just as
>> retentions don't count.

> Every innovation counts.

[PR]

For a (IMHO) very lucid discussion of the principles invloved in trees, I
think some list-members might enjoy:

Family Evolution, Language History and Genetic Classification by Ilia Peiros

in

Historical Linguistics & Lexicostatistics, edited by Vitaly Shevoroshkin and
Paul Sidwell

In addition, there are good discussions of glottochronology and
lexicostatistics.

A bonus is a convenient collection of attested Palaeo-European vocabulary.

And no, I have no motive but interest in recommending it.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)