TeX notation in e-mail [was Re: Loaded "HOW LIKELY" questions]

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Mar 29 19:06:24 UTC 2000

Dear Rich and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard M. Alderson III" <alderson at netcom.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 3:48 AM

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Pat Ryan (proto-language at email.msn.com) wrote:

>> 1) I believe the root of *kwekw-lo- should be emended to *k^wek^w-lo- on
>> the strength of the palatal responses in Old Indian;

[RA]

> I'm really not sure what you mean by the collocation <k^w>:  If *I* wrote it,
> it would be a TeX-style notation indicating a superscript <w>--that is, the
> labiovelar.  Is this what you mean?  It is, of course, the correct notation
> for the word reconstructed on the basis of Skt. _cakras_, Gk. _kuklos_, Eng.
> _wheel_, etc.

> Or do you mean to indicate a palatal *k', in which case the evidence is very
> much against you?

> Many of the people writing on this list are often sloppy with regard to the
> writing of labiovelars (as in *{k^w}e{k^w}los) vs. clusters of palatal+*w
> (as in *ek'wos "horse").  If we were all careful to write in a (somewhat
> modified) TeX-style, as I have noted in the past, this sort of question would
> not arise.

[PR]

Well, I should have been more careful, and additionally explained what I
meant explicitly.

I believe that the phoneme (/x/) which became IE *k<w>, the labiovelar,
appeared in that earlier language before /e/, /a/, and /o/.

I believe that palatal responses in Old Indian to IE *k<w>  are due *not* to
an earlier IE *k<w>e but rather to a previous /*xe/ as opposed to /*xa,o/.

I have adopted a notation of *k^<w> to indicate this phoneme though, of
course, I realize it is phonologically contradictory.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)